Skip to page body Home About Round Rock What's New City Services Library Parks & Recreation Departments
Round Rock, Texas - Purpose. Passion. Prosperity.
  Click here to start search.
City Attorney
General Services
Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
Human Resources
Inspection Services
Municipal Court
Parks & Recreation
Planning and Development Services
Utilities & Environmental Services
Utility Billing
 Common Zoning Violations

Home Occupations | Garage Sales | Signs in Right of Way | Yard Parking 
 Unsecured PoolsDeed Restrictions

The zoning ordinance restricts land uses to areas where they do not conflict with each other; in particular, to protect residential neighborhoods from noisier, busier commercial and industrial uses. Penalties for zoning violations are assessed by a judge and may include fines of up to $2,000 per day, which if necessary may be secured by a property lien.

The following are some of the most common violations of the zoning ordinance:

Home Occupations (home-based businesses) 
Though some businesses can blend easily into a residential setting, others generate increased traffic, noise and other nuisances that affect neighbors’ enjoyment of their homes. In order to preserve the residential character of the neighborhood, a business conducted from the owner’s primary residence (home occupation) must remain subordinate to the property’s use as a residence. 

Home occupation regulations are described in the Home Occupations brochure (pdf) and ordinance Section 46-161. For specific inquiries contact the Code Enforcement Office directly at 512-341-3329.

A few guidelines:

  • No merchandise may be sold directly from the premises.
  • All employees must reside on the premises.
  • Licensed in-home day care is permitted for up to 6 children.
  • Some homeowners associations (HOAs) do not permit home occupations at all; if you have an HOA contact them directly.

The following are strictly prohibited in residential neighborhoods:

  • Commercial repair or storage of appliances, automobiles or engines
  • Storing equipment or materials in public view
  • Parking vehicles with a gross weight over 17,000 pounds

Garage Sales  
The sale of personal belongings from one’s residence is permitted once every six months. More frequent sales constitute a resale shop. Signs/flyers may not be posted in the right of way, on street lights or other public property (see illegal signs, below). The City recommends advertising with a sign on your own property, or in a local newspaper, newsletter or online notice board such as Craigslist.


Signs in the right-of-way   
Signs that are unrelated to traffic control or safety are not permitted in the public right-of-way (roads, sidewalks, and areas adjacent to roads belonging to the city), and may not be posted on public facilities (e.g. utility poles, traffic signs, and mail boxes). These signs create hazards by distracting drivers, and public property is not to be used as free advertising space. In 2010 the Code Enforcement division confiscated 7,418 signs from the right of way. Please use other means of advertising, such as local newspapers, newsletters or online notice board such as Craigslist, etc. 


Parking on unimproved surfaces (yard parking)  
In the front or side yard of a residential lot, vehicles (cars, campers, boats, etc.) must be parked on an improved (paved) driveway, or an improved surface attached to the driveway. In the back yard, if vehicles are not parked on an improved (paved) driveway, they must be screened by a 6-foot tall wall, fence, or vegetation.

Please refer to the complete set of guidelines in the Parking on Residential Lots brochure (pdf; English/Spanish), or contact the Development Services Division (512-218-6658) with specific concerns.


Unsecured pools & structures  
Unsecured swimming pools can be life-threatening to children and expose the homeowner to considerable liability. Be sure that all swimming pool gates latch securely, and that the fence is in good repair. For more details, refer to the Standard Swimming Pool Code, or contact Building Permits & Inspections at 512-218-5550. 


Deed Restrictions  
If you live in an area with a homeowners association (HOA) it may have adopted deed restrictions that are more strict than city ordinances, such as aesthetic controls. Deed restrictions are private contracts and are not enforced by the City – you must contact your homeowners’ association.

Some files require a special viewer - Use the list below to locate the proper program based on file-type:
PDF Adobe Reader ZIP WinZip DOC Word XLS Excel PPT PowerPoint WMV Windows Media

City of Round Rock | 221 East Main Street, Round Rock, Texas 78664 | Phone: (512) 218-5400
©2014 City of Round Rock. All Rights Reserved. | Customer Survey | Site Map | About this website