homepage
Skip to page body Home About Round Rock What's New City Services Library Parks & Recreation Departments
spacer
Round Rock, Texas - Purpose. Passion. Prosperity.
spacer
  Click here to start search.
spacer
Administration
City Attorney
Finance
Fire
General Services
Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
Human Resources
Inspection Services
Library
Municipal Court
Parks & Recreation
Planning and Development Services
Police
Purchasing
Transportation
Utilities & Environmental Services
Utility Billing
Chisholm Trail Reconstruction and Chisholm Parkway Extension
spacer
 Downtown street lamp dedication plaques
Print

In the 1970s, the City decided to celebrate its history by installing old-fashioned streetlamps in it's historic downtown. As a fundraiser for the project, residents were invited to sponsor a streetlamp in honor of influential citizens and loved ones, who would be memorialized with a plaque attached to the lamp post. The streetlamps were dedicated at aceremony on April 27, 1975.

The streetlamps have since been replaced, and the dedication plaques have recently been re-mounted on the new posts. The plaque texts are posted below, or you can see them in person on your next trip to the downtown Commerical Historic District.

Dedication plaque photos & text  


201 E. Main Street

Oliver J. “Bud” Carlson
Feb. 13 1899 – Nov. 17, 1972
Native of Round Rock,
Member of Palm Valley Lutheran Church
Lumber – Hardware – Builder
Active in Civic Life


101 E. Main Street

Walter E. Henna
Dec. 11, 1884 – Nov. 21, 1969
Merchant, Civic Leader
County School board
President Williamson County O.S.A.
President of Texas Hardware Convention
Admired and Respected by His Fellowmen


200 E. Main Street

Helmer Johnson
Oct. 30, 1896 – April 14, 1971
Grocer
Member Palm Valley Lutheran Church 
School Board


118 E. Main Street

John Herring Kavanaugh
1879-1957
Owner, Editor & Publisher of
Round Rock Leader
1929-1957


121 E. Main Street

In Memory of Rev Theo Kreinke
& In Honor of Mrs. Anita Kreinke
Served Williamson County
Lutheran Congregations from 1912-1929
Superintendent of Trinity Lutheran Homes
1929-1945
School Board Member
1932-1954, President 20 years


100 E. Main Street

John W. Ledbetter
Descendent of Pioneer Family
Postmaster and Postal Employee 1932-1965
Church and Civic Leader
President of Fire Department
President Williamson County O.S.A.
Received Outstanding Citizen Award

 
211 E. Main Street

Thomas Edward Nelson
Feb. 7, 1888 – Dec. 15, 1951
Banker, Farmer and Rancher
Member of
Palm Valley Lutheran Church,
City Council and School Board

 
Round Rock Library, 216 E. Main Street

In Honor of Mr. O.F. Perry
Former Classroom Teacher,
Coach, Principal and
Superintendent of
Round Rock Independent Schools
1931-1957

Mr. Perry was a 1994 Local Legend 


spacer
spacer
City of Round Rock | 221 East Main Street, Round Rock, Texas 78664 | Phone: (512) 218-5400
©2014 City of Round Rock. All Rights Reserved. | Customer Survey | Site Map | About this website