Youth Services staff
Front: Andrea Warkentin, Janette Johnston
Back: Jane Dance, Amy German, Virginia Hadley, Susan VandeWater
The Youth Services Division offers a variety of programs and materials for children of all ages. Most of our programs are year round with occasional breaks, including two-week breaks in May, December, and August. Please check the calendar for more information.
Our Scholastic Book Fair is going on now. Hours are:
- 10 a.m. to noon and 4 to 6 p.m. Wednesday, August 13
- 9:30 to noon Thursday, August 14
- 9:30 to noon Friday, August 15
- 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, August 16
- 1 to 4 p.m. and 6 to 7:30 p.m. Monday, August 18
Or shop online.Recurring events
Children's programs at the library include Babytime
, Family storytime
, Bilingual storytime
, Rockin' Kids Club
programs, and Bow Wow Read to a Dog
. We also host special events throughout the year. Our popular Summer Reading Program
encourages everyone to read, with programs for babies, kids, teens, and adults.
Check the online calendar for the current schedule of kids programs and events or download the PDF of the printable monthly calendar for only the library children's events.
The Youth Services Division boasts a collection of books consisting of many genres and formats, as well as media such as CD's, DVD's, audiobooks, ebooks, and even puppets.
Check out the Tumblebook e-book collections, as well. TumbleBooks are animated, talking picture books which teach kids the joy of reading in a format they’ll love. TumbleBooks are created by taking existing picture books, adding animation, sound, music and narration to produce an electronic picture book which you can read, or have read to you.
The library also offers three New Tumblebook Audio Collections:
- TumbleBookCloud Junior is a perfect complement to the TumbleBookLibrary – adventurous young readers can read beyond the picture book level with ebooks, graphic novels, National Geographic videos and audio books.
- TumbleBookCloud has over 500 titles for middle/high school students including content to support the Common Core Curriculum.
- AudioBookCloud is a great resource of online streaming audio books for all ages. No need to download any books, just click and listen. You can access the books online anywhere anytime.
Check the Kids Catalog for items currently available, and also for fun suggestions for your next book to read.
Kids can also use the filtered computers located in the children's area of the library. Our "Websites" page links to many educational and fun sites just for kids.
At your next visit to the library, don't forget to visit the library's pet snake, Rocksssanne!
Library Youth Services Division staff:
Janette Johnston -- 512-218-7002
Jane Dance -- 512-218-7012
Andrea Warkentin -- 512-218-7011
Virginia Hadley -- 512-218-3279
Susan VanDeWater -- 512-218-5476
Amy German -- 512-218-7034
Children's Desk -- 512-218-3275
Some files require a special viewer
- Use the list below to locate the proper program based on file-type:
PDF Adobe Reader
WMV Windows Media